Self reliance is a fundamental principle of mountaineering. By participating we accept this and take responsibility for the decisions we make. These Conditions Reports are intended to help you make good decisions. They do not remove the need for you to make your own judgements when out in the hills.

Friday 8 May 2015


Victor and I went for a quick spin up to the CIC Hut today. We had a hard frost last night with higher pressure bringing a calm clear night. There was thick ice on the path below the hut and plenty of dribbles of ice on the crags. The snow was frozen hard in the shade and the ice climbing looked good. I have climbed grade V ice in May only once before but I have never seen as much good ice climbing in May as today.


Not very surprisingly though there was nobody out climbing! I would have been out climbing but Victor is only one year old and springer spaniels are not so good at ice climbing anyway. I was on my bike though and the Allt a'Mhuillin trail is one of the best rides in Scotland. You then have a choice of great forest trails to choose from too. We went down Top Top Secret which was a bit slippy after the recent rain and all the more fun for it. I'm not sure who had more fun, me or Victor. Spaniels seem to run just for the joy of it but I think I had even more fun on my bike.


The weather forecast has one more cold day (Saturday) before a warm front brings the thaw on Sunday. Mixed and warmer weather next week might just bring this wonderful winter to an end.





No comments:

Post a Comment